A President's Reflections

Remembering 9/11 Through Reflections from President Emeritus Dick Gustafson

Posted on September 10, 2021

September 11 was one of the worst days in our nation’s history, and the anniversary takes many of us back to the moment we first heard the news. We all have our own recollection, whether it was witnessing it firsthand, watching it through a television screen, or hearing the news from a loved one, friend, or stranger on the street. It was, and continues to be, a very emotional day for our country. 

Part of what 9/11 reminded us is that we don’t live in isolation. The world is interconnected – for good and bad – and I’m lucky to work in an industry which gets to be part of the solution, when we do our job well.  

As we commemorate the 20th anniversary of 9/11, I recently sat down with my predecessor, President Emeritus Dick Gustafson, to remember the day at Southern New Hampshire University through his lens. Dick spoke about his personal experience and how SNHU mobilized following the attacks. I hope you’ll view our conversation, take the time to do your own reflection, and join in on the various events at SNHU this weekend to commemorate the 20th anniversary of 9/11.