A President's Reflections
SNHU News

My Next Chapter

Posted on December 6, 2023

Dear SNHU Community, 

After 20 of the best years of my professional and personal life, it is time I step down from my role as President of Southern New Hampshire University. 

When I came to SNHU in 2003, I found a home. In this small New Hampshire campus, I found a rock-solid commitment to mission, a dedication to students, and a hunger to do more and be more. At the time, I never envisioned we’d be the university we are today, but I knew that at this university I would find purpose and joy. 

Throughout my tenure, our students have always been an inspiration to me. One of my favorite moments each year is standing at the end of the clap line after Commencement and meeting students eager to tell their stories. Those are often stories of triumph over loss or illness or other obstacles. They are about making their kids proud or keeping a promise to a parent no longer with us. They are veterans, parents juggling work and family and study, and front-line workers seeking better work and careers. They include parents and children marching together, grandparents fulfilling a long-held dream, and graduates who were long told they couldn’t now proving to the world that they indeed could. Our students have fueled my passion and love for this university. 

I am also grateful for the incredible faculty and staff at SNHU. Over the years, I’ve watched them run through walls for students in need, roll up their sleeves when the work gets hard, and help each other when someone is struggling at work or at home. The culture at SNHU – a reflection of us all collectively – is one of kindness, support, and a willingness to work together and learn. 

During my time at SNHU, we have navigated a global pandemic, achieved unprecedented enrollment figures, ensured financial stability, and assembled a formidable team. I recently celebrated my 66th birthday, and my wife, Pat, and I eagerly look forward to embracing the roles of grandparents. After two decades of service, I believe that SNHU would benefit from a fresh perspective. 

With my decision to step down, the Board of Trustees has appointed Lisa Marsh Ryerson, our University Provost, to the role of President for a two-year term beginning July 1, 2024. A formal announcement from our Board Chair, Winnie Lerner, can be found here

Lisa has served on our Board, was a successful college president, headed a major national foundation, has been a source of energy and fresh thinking as the University Provost, believes in our mission and, more importantly, believes in all of you. There is greatness ahead for this university and its best chapters are yet to be written by you. 

I love the SNHU community and while change is forever constant, that sentiment will remain unchanged for me. It has been an honor to be your president. 

Warmly, 

Paul